Sunday, June 12, 2016

I've got it all (most)




I don't believe that they are any sort of prophecy at all

Let's talk about something selfish: Astrology

I sure do fucking love talking about myself.
But first, a disclaimer: I'm not an expert on the subject, and won't pretend to be. My knowledge is very limited. I'm only sharing what I've learned over the past year or so from trying to interpret my own natal chart.

I didn't know I was a Capricorn until I was 18 and a friend asked while reading her horoscope online. "Capricorn", I thought. "What a good word." I thought that for weeks and weeks before finally taking the plunge and googling.

Then, after countless hours spent reading about Capricorns -  just when I thought I'd figured it all out, I learned there's more to astrology than just my sun sign. Let me explain before I go any further:

Your sun sign is determined based on the position of the sun at the time of your birth. For me, that's Capricorn. I was born on January 6th, 1991, at 5:39 PM. Your sun sign is one of the most important aspects of your natal chart, but there are other things to take into consideration as well - such as your ascendant (the star rising on the horizon to the east) and moon sign. WHY? I'm gonna tell you.

Your sun sign is, in essence, who you are. As a Capricorn, I'm moody, cautious, and conservative. I long to one day be someone successful and self-sufficient, but I won't take unnecessary risks. I can be surprisingly determined at times - especially when someone else is depending on me. Unfortunately, I can also be a real stick in the mud. In fact, my family and husband jokingly refer to me as "Debbie Downer" from Saturday Night Live because even when something good happens, I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop. These are all traits associated with the planet Saturn (which rules Capricorn). As far as I'm concerned, they describe me well, though others might disagree! Speaking of that...

Have you ever noticed how your perception of yourself often differs from the way others perceive you? This can be explained with your rising sign, which heavily influences your personality. For me, that's Cancer. We crabs tend to be shy, sensitive, and sentimental. Often pining for days gone by; yearning to reconnect with people and places from our pasts. If you've ever spoken with me before, you might describe me as someone who is overly critical of herself (and others), emotional, and delicate. That's most Cancers in a nutshell! We're clingy with everything, good or bad. It's hard not to be with claws.

There's a side of me others aren't so familiar with, though - my moon sign. It's responsible for my innermost thoughts and desires. I usually refuse to admit it (even to myself), but I sometimes place great importance on having nice things. I want the best of everything, and I secretly long to be pampered. I want to be popular with others - I want to win them over with my charm and beauty. But alas; I'm poor, friendless, and far from attractive. Each day is an internal struggle for me. I can blame Libra for that. Perhaps you've heard of Venus, the goddess of beauty? Well, Libra is under the influence of the planet Venus, which explains my love for the finer things in life!

So now you've got it all figured out, right? Wrong. There's more to it, yet. There are more clues about your life hidden in the stars. The way the planets were aligned at your time of birth paints a picture of who you are based on which signs they were under the influence of!

A good example: Jim and I have been together for over 8 years in one form or another. By form, I mean he's been everything from a brother to a father to a lover to me. I'm sure the rest of the world scratched their heads and tried to make sense of our unusual relationship, but to me, it was natural. This could be attributed to the fact that Venus was in Aquarius when I was born. Aquarians are known for being spontaneous and unconventional, and in love, that's very much how I am! Too bad I gave everyone around us the impression I engaged in incest with my brother. WHOOPS.

Don't ask me how much I believe in this stuff - I'm not sure myself. Researching astrology is a fun way to pass the time, and as an added bonus I get to think about myself even more than usual. I've learned there are positive aspects about my natal chart, and negative ones as well. I'm fortunate enough to have a grand trine in my chart (though they're different elements!), and unfortunate enough to have several planets in my 6th house (indicating lots of terrible health problems - which seem to be coming true). Weird!

Welp, that's enough rambling about stars for one morning. I'm sorry if you actually read this, I will probably delete it later.