this is gonna be a loooong post, so i apologise in advance! i'm putting the first half under a cut because it's just stuff about my dad. feel free to ignore!
i may be scarce for a while after this week, so i thought i'd pop in with an update and post some doodles just in case anyone notices i'm gone and worries i died!
dad is going back to the hospital tomorrow and they're gonna run lots of tests on him to determine whether or not he's in good enough health for a liver transplant...
in other news, i cracked and made a new tumblr. i think we all knew i would at some point! no telling how long it'll exist, but it's there for now. i'm not happy with myself for going back on what i said, but that's just sort of how i am. i'm spontaneous and indecisive. i make decisions on a whim (though i usually regret them). wow look, that rhymed :D on the bright side, tumblr has encouraged me to be more productive with my art. fiddling with my theme also gives me something to do when i'm bored and can't leave the room because i'm babysitting. on the not-so-bright side, i think most people are too sick of my vanishing acts to bother paying attention to me anymore, haha. anyway, here are a few things from tumblr!:

this was from an ask i got. jim sent me some half moon cookies this weekend because i've never tried them before. they were really good! and they originated near where he lives in new york, so that's pretty neat! they're sort of like tiny cakes. one half is frosted with vanilla, the other with chocolate. people down here in alabama don't eat them or even know what they are! they don't have hot banana pudding up in new york, though, and everyone here loves it, so i guess that makes us even.

sometimes when i don't feel like spending a lot of time or effort on a picture, i make these crayon wigglies. emaline is on the left, and jeanie on the right. when i have more time and am less stressed out, i need to talk more about em, cos nobody even really knows she exists yet! she is a capricorn and so am i.

i also did jo, saria, and kitsune. i'm not as happy with how this batch turned out, but that's okay. they're fun to make anyway! i forgot i made a bunch of 'em last year too. gosh!
okay, last things i'll share:

i've known link2262 since at least 2009. he was one of my earliest followers! he has lots of neat characters, but megan is my favourite and i really enjoy drawing her! i apparently tried to draw his character jenna way back in '09. that makes me cringe, haha. next time i make some gift art for him, i'll have to try drawing jenna again!

daz helped jim and i a lot after we learned my dad had cancer. he spread the word about jim's iron artist commissions and even hosted a donation stream on our behalf. i still can't believe how supportive everyone has been! when i think about it, it makes me cry. this crummy little doodle doesn't come close to repaying darren for what he's done to help us, but it's what i can do for now. this is his character, screwball!
okay, that's it for now. i can't promise i'll be updating again any time soon. i'll be devastated if we get bad news about my dad, and i doubt i'll feel like drawing for quite a while. all i can do right now is hope for the best!
thank you for reading all that, if you did! and please don't worry about commenting, this was just an update!
Sorry for being late with commenting! I saw this post on Monday and it made me very happy (as usual!) but I've been quite busy and rarely on the Internet since then. I'm always glad to know what's new :D
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I peek on your twitter now and again, and I got to know today that the situation with your dad seems to be less dramatic now. I am SO relieved and glad to know that! It's really consoling! I wish all the best for you and your family <3
Secondly, please don't feel bad for yourself for creating another tumblr. It happens, haha :D Seriously though, I think that site is kinda addictive and it's hard to leave it forever. It's awesome it inspires you to stay artistically active! I need to admit I thought about recreating my tumblr many times, I liked that site for number of reasons and it was perfect for daily updates. I'm glad I keep my blogger pretty much private (only 5 people know about it) but sometimes I really miss my old feedback!
Your tumblr has by far the best template I've ever seen in my life! So much wiggly stuff but no overloading at the same time. Also, your colour choices are perfect, they're pleasure to look at! And THANK YOU for using my doodle as your header, it's a honour!
(silly blogger says my comment was too long so I had to cut it into two parts, so I'm gonna post the 2nd part in another one!)
And thirdly, YAY, these drawings <3
ReplyDeleteHalf moon cookie Saria is so adorable. I love how she's blinking and holding that cookie like a trophy, haha! I really like your simple backgrounds, it's incredible how much life such little thing can add to a piece. Your shading is so soft, looks very effortless nad neat! I've never tried half moon cookies and I wish Saria could share some but I know sharing isn't her thing xD (and I'm too fat already)
That's Emaline! I've been looking forward to see more art of her and I'm happy that she has managed to get some time in the spotlight. I don't know much about her personality yet, but I love her design already. It stands out! And proves there's no need to throw on gazillions of sparkling accessories to make a character look original. Love those big eyes and thick tail! Her droopy ears are simply hilarious :D
Jeanie looks so happy! This time she's not only wiggling but also bouncing and it impresses me how much life you achieved on this one. I don't think there are many frames but she looks very alive anyway!
I love the 2nd batch too. I saw each piece on your tumblr before and enjoyed reading those facts about them a lot! I also added all of them to my collection, I think they're awesome wiggly references for your major characters :D
You portrayed Jolene's, Saria's and Kitsune's personalities perfectly. Jo seems to be a bit embarrassed this time but it's very nice to see her happy! I think her proportions changed again, she seems to be quite shorter now. That makes her even more adorable :3
Saria looks very tough with that wooden sword! I must admit I've fallen in love with her 'theme song'. Nothing could describe her better and I think I've just learned new things about her just by listening to that music. Amazing! Very adventurous!
Kitsune is an imaginative kind of villain. I like him a lot especially 'cos fennec foxes are usually considered to be puppy-like and unbelievably cute. You made him vicious and smirky! His size also cracks me up, an almost cat sized antagonist definitely isn't something I see every day :D
These gifts you made for Link and Daz are precious, I love how these two look in your style! Is there anything that doesn't look wonderful in your style anyway?
I can see Megan is blushing slightly and it made me smile just out of its cuteness! She's round but her pose is still very fluid and I admire it a lot. I have trouble drawing chubby chars doing anything else than just standing straight and you don't seem to have problem with it at all!
I always thought that Screwball is hilarious and you captured his goofiness perfectly, haha :D Just love how one of his ears is lying upon his shoulder! Noticing little details like this one is something I find really fun about your artwork!
Sorry if I made some grammatical mistakes or anything, it's late and I'll shut up now!
haha, even when it's late and you're tired, your grammar is honestly better than most english-speaking people i know (myself included). i don't even bother using proper punctuation or capitalisation. no need to ever apologise to me ;D
Deleteand please never worry about leaving 'late' comments (or commenting at all!) either. i love comments whether i get them the day i post something or three months later. this journal was just an update anyway, so comments weren't even necessary!
yes! the doctor says my dad will make it on the transplant list for sure. there's no guarantee he'll ever actually get a new liver, but just knowing we have a chance gives me a lot of hope. i feel so lucky (and also a little guilty) because a lot of sick people never have this opportunity.. thank you so much for keeping us in your thoughts, and for your help <3
when i deleted my tumblr a couple months ago, i thought i hated the site enough to never come back xD yet i am there again! i'm being more selective about who i follow now, so i feel much less stressed out. i wont lie, i really miss seeing/commenting on your art on there, but i understand why you prefer blogger! tumblr is great for dumb doodles, but i like coming to blogger when i wanna talk more in-depth about stuff. anyway, if you ever happen to show up on tumblr again some day, i'd follow you in a heartbeat.
holy smokes, you said so many kind things i'm not even sure how to respond, except with THANK YOU! i'm glad you enjoy my crayon wigglies :D some day i plan to make an online 'storybook' with them. they're really fun to do! you always seem to understand my character's personalities perfectly and that makes me really happy :> i'm also really happy you like saria's 'theme'! DKC2 has some of the best music i've ever heard. it's definitely my favourite snes game. i think i'll play it again this weekend.
haha, saria usually doesn't share food but i think she can make an exception in your case! you can half the chocolate half since she knows you like chocolate ;3
i think most things look absolutely horrible in my style, but i'm glad some people like them! link is always drawing the most precious sarias for me and i wanted to finally thank him for that. yess, i've always liked screwball a lot too. daz is really great at coming up with wacky characters like that!
thank you so much again! it's been a while since we last talked and it's nice to hear from you :)
I'm thrilled you think so! I'm not quite satisfied with my English yet, but I'm glad I can talk with you and Jim, so I can gradually learn new things!
DeleteCongratulations! Having a chance to raise your hope is already a success :3 I'll be hoping too! I saw that Jim finished his Iron Artist project and I'm amazed he did so much in so little time, I hope he raised enough funds for a while!
I always loved all of your tumblrs and I think this new one is great too. I check it every day! Being indecisive, in this case, isn't a bad thing at all :D I'm flattered you miss my scribbles on there but when it comes to make any decisions, I'm awfully slow and hesitant. But if I ever make one, I'll follow you as the first person!
Can't wait to see more of your crayon wigglies <3 And yeah, I need to admit I ADORE finding out new things about your entire crew, it's a lot better than getting to know a new person irl, because there's no stress :D It feels like an adventure!
D'aww, thank you Saria, you're really spoiling me today, haha xD
You're very self-critical but I think everyone is always impressed to see their creation(s) in your style. It's like a nobilitation, trust me!
No problem!