One of those characters was 'Mulliegrums'. I'd had the idea for him in my mind for quite some time, but even as I drew him, I knew I'd probably never use him. Why I chose that hideous colour scheme, I'll never know. I found his design too complicated to remember, and that discouraged me from ever drawing him much. Rather than bother simplifying his design, I simply threw him away.
It's funny how proud I was of his design/story when I first created him, though. I hate it now, and if I ever revived him, a whole lot would have to change. For example, I think I'd make him less of a 'sad' character, and more of a 'paranoid' one. His appearance would also get a nice makeover. I'm too lazy to do that now, though, and I doubt I ever will, since I don't really care about him anymore! Sorry mulliegrums.
Another character I had big plans for was Harass. Originally, I planned to use her in an animated short, but, as you can see, I never followed through. I did, however, draw her quite a bit. She lasted much longer than Mulliegrums, but in the end, she was just sort of left behind. My feelings for her changed as I changed.
Unlike Mulliegrums, I actually took time to develop Harass' backstory/personality while she was around. She went through several big changes in a brief period of time! From being full grown and feral to standing on two feet and only being 5 years old. From being on her own and sad and scared, to living with her older brother. Of all my characters, I can relate to harass the least, but I do still like her. She's innocent and carefree, even though she's had a rough life. She doesn't think about the past or worry about the future - she just lives in the moment!

I've been thinking about this character more and more lately, so it's possible I may bring her back. I dunno, though! Only time will tell.
The last character I'll talk about today is Violet. She's one of my oldest characters - only a few days older than Saria! Like many of my characters, was born at school, where a friend and I would often collaborate together on comics featuring our classmates and ourselves. We were working on a comic where we were all superheroes our senior year. My super "power" was donning a pair of kitty pyjamas and going to sleep.
"Jeanie" as you know her today didn't really exist yet (and wouldn't for several months), so you could say that Violet was actually a precursor to Jeanie. In a sense, anyway. The character who became violet was me, and Jeanie is me, so they overlap somewhat! I'm confusing myself so I'm going to stop talking about this now. Whoops.
Anyway, my friend and I never finished that comic, but I liked violet so much I decided to keep her. Her name wasn't violet yet, of course. It was sarah. I didn't start calling her Violet until about a week after I'd first drawn her!
Because she and Saria were the only two characters I really had back then, I often paired them up. They had an interesting relationship.. Violent was a complete bully to Saria, and Saria was too much of a coward to stand up to her. Though she'd never admit it, Violent did care for Saria. Sort of. She stuck up for her once or twice! And even though Saria was constantly being bullied by Violet, she still liked her a lot. I don't know why. Saria was dumb.
When I created Riff Raff, they shared a common enemy, which brought them closer together!

I figured those two would always reside in the same universe, but Saria grew up and went on to do other things! Violet was tossed to the side when Saria took center stage.
I still draw her occasionally - even still draw her interacting with saria sometimes. (Like here and here, kind of. Those are Saria's hands!!), but I have mixed feelings about that, since Saria is a pirate now and her personality is completely different! I just can't see them living in the same world. It kind of makes me sad!
There are a lot of other characters in Violet's universe I never got the chance to introduce, though, so maybe I should focus on them. Violet shouldn't have to be forgotten just because Saria has become more popular. It's funny that the little kitty she spent so much time bullying in 2008 went on to become the character she is today though! Don't be a bully like Violet. It never pays off in the end.

I had lots and lots of fun reading this post and whenever you write so much about your characters (both existing and expired), I am all smiles! That's really odd, but I think I actually enjoy getting to know fictional characters more than meeting new people in real life. Why I am so emotional about them, I don't know! Your chars have such developed stories and interesting backgrounds, it feels so exciting to immerse in :D
ReplyDeleteI had no clue Mulliegrums existed until you brought him to light here. This renewed version of him is very eye-catching indeed! I've no idea why, but today I suddenly recalled our conversations about 'owlish' eyes and I wondered whether I'm gonna ever see them again. There they are! xD You are a mind-reader! I love his maniacal gaze and all those shades around his huge eyes. I don't want you to feel pressured, but he sure might be an interesting character if you brought him back to life! It's silly how so many people instantly give their 'paranoid' characters straitjackets and knives. Mullie seems to be much more quiet and withdrawn, and I like it!
Harass is so sweet and I've been always very fond of her. Your passion for elephants is also something I find really unique and incredibly cute! I'd love to draw her one day, and I even tried, but I erased it shortly after it happened. I need to learn more about elephants :D
I've always enjoyed seeing art of Harass, especially interacting with her brother, and I hope she'll appear sometime here! But once again, no duress ;D She looks so adorably happy on the sketch you posted!
Out of all these characters you've mentioned here, I think I know Violet the most. Yet the fact she was a kind of precursor for Jeanie really surprised me. I had no idea! But I can clearly see how she prepared the background for the rise of Jeanie. They're both you in a cartoon form, even though Violet span (spun?) off into a completely separate character! Oh, and I'm relieved she doesn't bully Saria anymore!
I just love how she wears this extremely cute kitty pyjamas and puts on such grumpy/angry expressions all the time xD What a hilarious mix! And I love her massive arms too!
Ooops, it's almost half past midnight, so I better go to bed! I'm glad you shared so much about your characters. Thank you!
haha, it makes me really happy you care about other people's characters so much. i don't think it's odd at all! it's sweet and means a lot to me. you're the first person to ever show so much interest in my creations :3 so thank YOU!
Deleteyep, poor mulliegrums didn't last long. and i'm actually kind of glad he didn't! his personality and story didn't really make a whole lot of sense. i'll try play around with him more and see what i can do ;3 oh, and i agree with you about most paranoid characters haha. mulliegrums definitely wouldn't be like them!
aaaww, i'm flattered to know you liked harass enough to try to draw her! i know she looked perfect, thank you <3 i was actually going to draw midgefly with her here, but i got lazy xD next time for sure! i love african bush elephants and think they're wonderful animals :)
haha violet likes to think she's tough, but she's really pretty pathetic. it's hard to take someone seriously when they wear cat pyjamas all the time! i'm glad you like he, though :D nope, she's not saria's bully anymore, but maybe she'll find another victim eventually!
ooh gosh, well i hope you managed to get some sleep! :o thank you so much again for the super nice comments! they're always a blast to read!
Ooops, I haven't been much on the internet a while back and I forgot to reply!
DeleteD'aww, I'm relieved you don't think that's odd. I always thought that fictional characters deserve more love and I keep it up!
I need to agree, keeping around a character you aren't really satisfied with doesn't seem to be a good idea. But it's always nice to try, or at least keep them in your memory ;D
Yup, she's simply lovable and I think I'll try to draw her again one day! Elephants aren't commonly used species and that's kinda sad; they're very nice animals!
Haha, I hope she won't find that victim, even though she's not so tough as she pretends to be, her big arms seem to be perfect for pounding xD
No problem! I got enough sleep, no worries :3